Thursday, January 17, 2008

Calgon, Take Me Away!


If you are of a certain generation (one that was around in the late 70’s) you may remember the old Calgon commercial…frazzled lady, items of chaos (kids, a dirty dog, an angry boss, messy house) circling her head like a halo, and she suddenly declares, “Calgon, take me away!”

If only it were that easy, right? Who wouldn’t buy a magical bubble bath that takes away all your problems? At least for me, taking a bath is more of a pain than its worth. For one, the water doesn’t stay hot enough. Secondly, the tub is just not that comfortable. Maybe if I had a different tub it would be better? Anyway, that’s not the point…

Life is chaotic, stressful, and slightly uncomfortable. At the same time, it’s these things that allow us to enjoy the finer moments. If it were always easy, would we appreciate it? I don’t think that I would.

It seems like everyone I know is in a tizzy. I almost feel like if I am not complaining about how busy or stressed out I am, then something is very wrong with me and my life. When do we realize that this is just the way it is? Complaining certainly doesn’t help, so why bother? I also wish people wouldn’t apologize for being so busy and frazzled. Stop it! What’s the point in saying you are sorry for your life? I certainly won’t forgive you for having one. It is what it is. It is messy and beautiful all at the same time. The only alternative is to accept it and move on.

Life would be extremely dull if it wasn’t slightly frenzied. Where would we draw our personalities from? So, stop bitching. Put away the Calgon. It won’t help. We all need to find away to enjoy life and all its (and our) imperfections.

No comments:

Post a Comment