Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Terrible Two's

It's official -- we are in the midst of the Terrible Two's...

I suppose terrible is a bit extreme. Honestly, it is a wonderful age. Every day is full of discovery and surprise. Like this morning when I found her latest artistic expression in the form of colorful marker on our beige ottoman.

No, No, No. I hear this in my sleep at night. Truly it is her favorite word. At least when she says it she usually says, "No, thanks." I guess I have done two things right so far -- she knows what she wants and sticks to it...and, at least she is polite about it!

There is no doubt, this is a smart kid we are dealing with. After knowing me for just two-years, Abigail has figured out how to push my buttons -- buttons that I never even knew I had! I have to laugh at how skilled she already is at nurturing this complicated mother/ daughter dynamic. Sometimes, if I don't laugh, I am afraid she'll see me cry out of utter exasperation.

In those frustrating moments, I take a step back, a deep breath, and try to understand why I feel like my head is going to explode. I have to ask myself: am I really going to lose it over a two-year old throwing her shoe at me?

Jeez, save the breakdown for something good...

No comments:

Post a Comment